Sunday 28 September 2014

Give Me Grief.

Last year in May my Grandfather passed away. Regretfully, I didn't deal with it well and therefore am still dealing with the repercussions of that, but that's a different blog post (If I ever decide that I want to talk about it at all.)  

I remember stumbling across this video (A little too late may I add) and totally understanding everything Louise had to say. One of the things that struck a chord with me more than anything is her honesty and bravery.

Not everybody would be able to post a video about this, not many people would want to share a moment of 'weakness' with millions of people. But she did. I can say from personal experience that talking about death is a very difficult thing to do. I'd much rather ignore it and pretend it didn't happen but that's not the case.

Not talking about things doesn't help, if anything it prolongs the pain you're in and manifests itself into something more than just grief. Whatever emotion you're feeling: anxiety, sadness, happiness, stress, confusion etc- talk about it. I'm saying this now because I understand what it's like to not talk about it and I can't help but feel that getting it off of my chest at the beginning would mean I'd be in a better place now and after all, nobody's going to judge you for feeling what you feel.

My friends (more or less) have been great after I've explained to them what I'm going through. The hardest part of it is working through it and the initial action of understanding within yourself that you have this issue to face.

The most important thing to know, is that having a mental illness or feeling any extreme version of emotion doesn't make you any less of a human. It doesn't make you weak. It doesn't mean you've been defeated. Yes, it's a challenge, but it's a challenge that can be overcome. It's a challenge that will make you strong. It's a challenge that will give you determination.

That's all for now Fellow friends of the interweb, the video is below at the bottom of this  paragraph thing but if that doesn't work click Here to watch it.




The song of this post is: You Raise Me Up by Westlife mainly because all of my friends cry when listening to it so I thought it fitting.

-L


No comments:

Post a Comment